Today I am going to share some of my tips for staying on track and slaying word count goals. Setting a word count goal is easy but staying on track and actually meeting that goal is a whole different ball game. There have been several times where I panicked because writing a full length fantasy novel means conquering a monster sized word count goal. Don’t fret though! I am about to share some of my favorite things that have helped me along my personal writing journey! Hopefully these tactics will help you smash your word count and finish that novel!
Let’s Dive In!
- First thing you should do if you are feeling overwhelmed is breathe. It is okay to step away for a bit and refocus so that you can approach your writing with a clear head.
- Instead of thinking of the word count as one giant goal you can break it down. Create mini goals so that you don’t feel the pressure of meeting the massive goal. This tip is extremely helpful and it will boost your confidence whenever you smash your mini goals and realize you also beat the massive word count.
- Accept the fact you are human! It is okay to not meet a huge word count in a short amount of time. Writing is an art form and requires a lot time and energy. Life also has tendency to pull you away from your work and it is ok to push the deadline so that you don’t freak yourself out.
- Be positive! Being negative about not being on track to meet the word count is not going to help anyone. You can do this! There are ways to catch up so don’t let falling behind bring you down.
- Schedule a writing day! Bust out your calender and pick a day that will be dedicated to writing! You can catch up a bit during this day and you will feel amazing afterwards.
That concludes my list of tips! Hopefully y’all can apply these tips to your life and realize that you can do this! Remember that you are already doing something incredible and you should not let your word count goal keep you from finishing that novel!
I hope y’all have a wonderfully literary day!