Creating a world for your novel can seem like quite the daunting task. A world has so many different parts that need to work together in order to help breathe life into the novel. I am going to list certain things you need to keep in mind when it comes to world building and these are all things that I used when creating the world used in Worlds Apart. I will also being thinking about these important items while creating a world for this pirate idea that is currently stuck in my head. I hope this post will be helpful to you as you create that brilliant literary world of yours!
Important things to remember while world building:
- Don’t over complicate things! It is important that your world is not too complicated because it could confuse the readers. Plus, too many rules and tiny complications can really mess your continuity up in the long run. Some things could accidentally be forgotten and that could lead to some plot holes that could have been avoided.
- Religion! This is probably one of my favorite items to work on. Gods, Godesses, magic, and powerful figures that characters worship are an important part of the world itself. Creating these different belief systems can really give depth to your world and help differentiate the characters by their belief or lack of beliefs.
- Maps! Creating a map should probably be one of the first things you do when you begin to build your world. It helps you visualize your world and map out your hero’s journey through out the novel or series.
- Politics! Politics are very important, especially if your are writing a dystopian or fantasy novel. Evil monarchs and corrupt governments need to be explained in your world bible so you can understand just how much turmoil is present in the novel. Be careful not too over complicate things in this area because when all the action is unfolding you don’t want it to get too confusing.
- Magic! Magic is something you need to think long and hard about when you are building. How it is used, who uses it, can objects contain it, and the presence of magical creatures should be addressed when it comes to magic in your world! This can also work really well with religious beliefs as well.
Those are the main things that I think about when I am world building and I hope that you found this post helpful!
I wish you luck on your literary journey!