NaNoWriMo recommends writing 1,667 words a day to meet your goals at the end of the month. Personally, I have tendency to write 3-4,000 words in one sitting on certain days. I have a hard time following a definite writing schedule but I know that if I at least try to write for at least 2 hours every day I can try to break my little habit. Meeting the word count can seem daunting but if you just ignore it and write you can easily surpass the goal.
Some other things I do to help me reach my word count goal are:
- Set reminders on my phone so it is always on my mind.
- Put on my writing playlist so that I can get in my writing groove.
- Have snacks and water nearby so I don’t have to get up too often.
- Take breaks when I am frustrated so I don’t get too burnt out and give myself a mini break.
- Put on a show that I know by heart so I can focus easier (for when I don’t want to listen to my playlist).
Some of those seem rather dorky but I need them becaus I can easily become distracted. Those are the methods that I am currently using for my writing and I hope y’all give them a try!
Feel free to share what trick you do to meet your word count in the comment section below!
I wish you luck on your literary journey!